sponsored links

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: ron (online)  Sunday, 20 April 2008 (Read 6659 times)  

After reading an article on the Campbeltown Courier regarding the proposed new ferry route between Campbeltown and Northern Ireland I immediately had to think about the road heading to that new ferry terminal. As much as I like to drive the A83, it brings me to Islay, I also think the road really needs some major maintenance if you look at the sorry state it's in. I know I wouldn't like to drive that road on a motorbike and if (heavy)traffic increases due to the new ferry route it certainly won't get any better. I was wondering how the others on the forum experience this? Rolling Eyes

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

Ron, this isn't a new route that is being proposed, its a possible revival of a route used before - as mentioned in the article itself:

When the Argyll and Antrim Steam Packet Company, a subsidiary of Sea Containers ran a summer only service across the North Channel for three summers from 1997 it carried an average of 26,000 passengers and 6,000 vehicles each four month period.

Before considering how many vehicles would use this route particular route you have to look at the alternatives, of which there seem to be a few (starting in the north and heading south):

* Troon to Belfast (summer only)
* Stranraer to Larne and Belfast
* Heysham to Belfast
* Fleetwood to Larne
* Liverpool to Belfast

So, with those available routes to Northern Ireland, how many people will even consider going via Campbeltown? Most likely their choice of route will depend on where in Scotland they are... anyone outside of Argyll and the western Highlands will probably use one of the exisiting routes. Anyone within Argyll or the western Highlands will probably choose their route depending on their proximity to the A82 - after all, once they are on that road why would they even consider following the A83 to Campbeltown to get the ferry? So will the (potential) extra traffic heading to Campbeltown merit a) any extra maintenance and/or improvements to the A83 or b) the actual running of a ferry in the first place (after all, its already failed once!)

Even looking at the figures above... 6,000 vehicles each four month period; an average of 1500 a month is not high (although it would have been higher during the school holidays) and only works out at 750 each way - an average of 25 a day (assuming it was a 7 day service; under 40 if it was only 5 days)... nothing to write home about really!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (online)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

Quote by: Bruce

Even looking at the figures above... 6,000 vehicles each four month period; an average of 1500 a month is not high (although it would have been higher during the school holidays) and only works out at 750 each way - an average of 25 a day (assuming it was a 7 day service; under 40 if it was only 5 days)... nothing to write home about really!

It doesn't sound so bad providing you are right, but then again I can also imagine that, since it's now 10 years later, a lot more traffic would use this route. But if it would double, 50 cars/lorries a day, it is indeed not something to worry about, I guess you are right about that.

What my initial point also was that the A83 at some stretches isn't the best road in Scotland with all the potholes, and perhaps the start of this new ferry route would be a good reason to improve the road. Or is it wishfull thinking of me? Rolling Eyes

ron

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1