sponsored links

20 posts :: Page 1 of 3
By: Bruce (offline)  Sunday, 20 April 2008 (Read 36539 times)  

The following are sound clips from the pronunciation guide of Scotch Malt Whisky, An incredible journey...

Bowmore
Bruichladdich
Bunnahabhain
Caol Ila
Lagavulin
Laphroaig

and everyones favourite:

Jura!

Each should (hopefully) open in your default media player!

Before anyone says "you've missed one", Ardbeg doesn't appear to be on the list; to compensate Bowmore has been added twice! To be fair tho, they do state the guide is imcomplete!

Anyway, Slainte!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 20 April 2008  

Hi Bruce, thanks for that. Big Grin

The guy sounds a bit depressed (wouldn't you after pronouncing so many names? Frown ) but still did a good job except for Caol Ila, I never heard anyone pronouncing it like that, at least not on Islay Rolling Eyes

ron

By: yAnja (offline)  Tuesday, 22 April 2008  

..I think as Ron.
I never head this pronunciation in any of the DVD that i have about Islay distilleries...
It's a strange pronounce, as it's strange the depression of the guy Confused

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

The only two sound clips I have found for Caol Ila seem to pronounce it the same way... here is the other, slightly cheerier version, for you all! Wink

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

Quote by: Bruce

The only two sound clips I have found for Caol Ila seem to pronounce it the same way... here is the other, slightly cheerier version, for you all! Wink

Thanks Bruce. The pronunciation should be something like Col-ee-la. Check out the Islay Place Names guide for more information Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

Ron, its a bit strange that in the place names guide Islay on its own is pronounced eye-la... but when its part of the distillery name its ee-la!

Ah well... at least I know how to say Jura Superstition! Big Grin

Bruce

By: archieislay (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

Simple answer Bruce - Caol-Ila in gaelic is the Sound of Islay and Ile is gaelic for Islay so though the last letter is different the pronounciation is the same. Neutral

archieislay

By: yAnja (offline)  Thursday, 24 April 2008  

Talking of Jura, before to be on Islay last year i think the pronounce was "iura", Oops!
But after known Willie Currie we learn that it's right "Jura" as it's written... Big Grin

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

20 posts :: Page 1 of 3