sponsored links

12 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Bruce (offline)  Friday, 22 June 2007 (Read 21369 times)  

On a small island, Eilean Mor, on a small loch, Loch Finlaggan, are the remains of a few buildings (seen above). From this island, the Lords of the Isles, descendants of Somerled, ruled the Hebrides as well as the Kintyre peninsula.

The Finlaggan Trust now look after the island and its remains - more information about each can be found here.

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: Bruce (offline)  Friday, 22 June 2007  

I should also have mentioned Ron's own page on Finlaggan too! Rolling Eyes

Bruce

By: ron (online)  Friday, 22 June 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

I should also have mentioned Ron's own page on Finlaggan too! Rolling Eyes

Big Grin No problem Bruce.. But it shows there's more on the Islayinfo site than you think! Finlaggan is an amazing site, we visited the site this year for the 3rd time and this time we were blessed with sunshine. Needless to say the pictures were brilliant and I think I should show one of them here.. The pictures is from the ancient chapel and the Finlaggan Trust did a wonderful job with the carved stones, by putting them under a glass cover to protect them from the weather conditions. I know they look better not covered by glass but at least now more generations will be able to have a look at these magnificent carved stones.

ron

By: Takeshi (offline)  Saturday, 23 June 2007  

Hi Ron,

I always think that your photos are always very nice. Good photos are an essential factor to appeal a web and I think your web has a lot of good photos with high quality and nice angle.

Well, I visited Finlaggan in 2002 with my family. It was a cloudy and wet day but I felt that was rather suitable weather to visit ruins of the past lordship. I saw some pieces of relief and they let me imagine the life of the people on the island at the age. A warrior on a relief is in a headgear and an armor. But I think he usually wore another light outfit of the age. I don't think it is in a highland style like a kilt. I believe it was something like a kind of northern wear with trousers.

Unfortunately I am not much about the knowledge. I just would like to tell you what I felt there once.

There is a round standing stone near to the gate of the Finlaggan visitor centre.

Takeshi

Takeshi

By: ron (online)  Sunday, 24 June 2007  

Hello Takeshi,

Thanks for your kind compliments. Big Grin
In a short while I will update the Wallpaper pages with the new images from this years trip and there will be dozens of new pictures there...

If you like to read a bit more about the carved stones at Finlaggan and see pictures try this page: Kilarrow Parish Carved Stones, I think you will like it! It is very interesting to read and the carved stones really come to live!

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 16 August 2007  

Ron has added a great article on to his weblog, titled The Lords of the Isles – where did their allegiances lie?. I've followed this up with more details on the Scotland from the Roadside forum!

Bruce

By: TVAS (offline)  Thursday, 16 August 2007  

And so do I. Very interesting!

TVAS

By: gerardhorstman (offline)  Wednesday, 05 September 2007  

Been there for the first time.
Must know more about the History of the Lord of the Isles.
The above sites are a good starting point.

I also downloaded a film of exgravations (is that spelled right?) must see it again.

Is it right that the McDonalds clan originates from here (saw it on one of the signs)
Should the Hamburger swallowers not take notice of that?? Wink

gerardhorstman

12 posts :: Page 1 of 2