sponsored links

14 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: ron (offline)  Friday, 23 November 2007 (Read 16156 times)  

I wont give away clues easily... Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Friday, 23 November 2007  

Its a detour worth taking isn't it Ron! Wink

Seeing as I have a VERY similar photo (probably taken from almost the same spot as you took this one Ron!) I will refrain from giving the answer away... for now! Rolling Eyes

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Friday, 23 November 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

Its a detour worth taking isn't it Ron! Wink

Seeing as I have a VERY similar photo (probably taken from almost the same spot as you took this one Ron!) I will refrain from giving the answer away... for now! Rolling Eyes

This is probably the best detour in Scotland, although I must admit I haven't done all the detours so far Wink

When this topic is finished I will ask you about another detour not far from this one which looks very promising as well Smile

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Friday, 23 November 2007  

I'm now tempted to give the answer away to hear what else you want to ask! Rolling Eyes

Bruce

By: Bruce (offline)  Saturday, 24 November 2007  

Seeing as this has been outstanding for over 24 hours I can't keep quiet any more...

The photo is taken from the road through Glen Etive, looking back towards the Lairig Gartain, the pass between the two Buachailles (Etive Beag and Etive Mor)! As mentioned already, this is a detour worth taking... assuming you spot the sign for the road soon enough (and considering the scenery you have distracting you it is quite easy to miss!)

So what about the other detour you wanted to ask about Ron?

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Saturday, 24 November 2007  

So what about the other detour you wanted to ask about Ron?

You are impatient Bruce.... Rolling Eyes

The other detour is one I have never done but would love to do sometime, it's the B846 that runs along Loch Rannoch to Rannoch Station. To me that seems on of the remotest roads in Scotland. I know there are more of similar roads like Glen Etive but this one.... probably also because of Rannoch Moor which is not a very inviting landscape..

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Saturday, 24 November 2007  

Aye I am impatient... at times... or maybe I am just curious! Wink

The road to Rannoch Station is one I have only travelled along a couple of times! I have also reached Rannoch Station by train from Fort William (and then continued the next day to Glasgow)... and personally if you want "remote" that is the way I would suggest you do the trip! From the time the railway leaves the roadside (at Tulloch Station to the east of Spean Bridge) to the point it rejoins the road (just north of Bridge of Orchy) the journey is WOW! Then when you consider what the railway line is built on... Confused

Back to the road though, it is definitely worth travelling along at least once... but it doesn't really feel that remote until you have passed the strangely named Kinloch Rannoch!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 26 November 2007  

I have also reached Rannoch Station by train from Fort William (and then continued the next day to Glasgow)... and personally if you want "remote" that is the way I would suggest you do the trip! From the time the railway leaves the roadside (at Tulloch Station to the east of Spean Bridge) to the point it rejoins the road (just north of Bridge of Orchy) the journey is WOW! Then when you consider what the railway line is built on... Confused

I just took a map and had a look at the railway line. This really is amazing and when we talked about remote roads, I guess this is the most remote railway line in the whole UK. Now I also know why they call it Rannoch Station, I never noticed a railway line there. I mean, who would build a railway line in such a remote area... It's not the most obvious route to Fort William, although better than a railway through Glen Coe Eek!

ron

14 posts :: Page 1 of 2