sponsored links

19 posts :: Page 1 of 3
By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 15 November 2007 (Read 20831 times)  

Nonse or not? I don't know, all I know is that Islay doesn't have its own flag. Today I was looking at Scottish Flags and found out that some other islands or group of islands have their own flag, such as Orkney, Shetland and the Outer Hebrides. I also found that the Highlands have their own flag as well. I wonder why they have their own flag and other parts of Scotland don't. Below a picture of the island flags I found:

ron

By: yAnja (offline)  Wednesday, 02 January 2008  

...Mmh, i think a flag for Islay it's a good idea.
As for "spot the Barrel" it's an opportunity to make a challenge to create a flag and do charity...
What do You think about it Ron?

P.S.:Off topic: My travel report grow slowly, so slowly... Cry

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 03 January 2008  

Quote by: yAnja

...Mmh, i think a flag for Islay it's a good idea.
As for "spot the Barrel" it's an opportunity to make a challenge to create a flag and do charity...

Something like "Spot the Colours" Big Grin I honestly don't know why some islands have a flag and others don't. Maybe we can start our wee competition here... Rolling Eyes

ron

By: yAnja (offline)  Saturday, 05 January 2008  

Nice idea... Question
mmm...

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: ron (offline)  Saturday, 05 January 2008  

I was wondering... Do you have any Islay Travelplans for this year? Or will you visit other places/countries instead? Take it easy by the way with the travel report.. I know you will finish it sometime Wink

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 09 January 2008  

Ron, the flags you've shown here are actually council flags! While other councils also have their own flags (well, Aberdeen and Angus do, the latter has been quite controversial with their plans to replace the Saltire with theirs!) Islay come under Argyll & Bute council who in turn don't have a flag... no doubt the coat of arms for the council is displayed within any council (or official) offices on the island!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 09 January 2008  

That makes sense Bruce, I was under the impression that Orkneys were actually a part of the Highlands and that's why I was wondering about their own flag. I now know that they are a separate council, silly of me! Thanks for pointing that out!

Looks like you are now a genuine rebel on the forum mentioning Islay as the gateway to Jura, which is right technically speaking, but I hope Islay is more to you than "just a gateway" to another beautiful island. Rolling Eyes

Why not come over in May when we are on Islay and I will make you change your mind after a few trips over this gorgeous island. We have already booked a cottage and it has a spare bedroom, Linda and you are more than welcome Wink

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 09 January 2008  

Quote by: ron

Looks like you are now a genuine rebel on the forum mentioning Islay as the gateway to Jura, which is right technically speaking, but I hope Islay is more to you than "just a gateway" to another beautiful island. Rolling Eyes

Ron, if I want to try and pass myself off as a rebel then I need to do something to at least earn the reputation... and what better way than my signature? Seriously tho, Islay IS more than just the gateway to Jura to me... its also where you get the ferry back to Kintyre! Laughing Out Loud

Why not come over in May when we are on Islay and I will make you change your mind after a few trips over this gorgeous island. We have already booked a cottage and it has a spare bedroom, Linda and you are more than welcome Wink

I'll have to see what Linda's plans are for May... she did mention something about going to Ireland for a week, but maybe I could persuade her to change her mind (especially if it means I could get over to Jura again! Wink )

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

19 posts :: Page 1 of 3