sponsored links

16 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 11 September 2007 (Read 20932 times)  

I've just seen this great news on the weblog! I for one personally hope it is a success!

No disrespect to Islay, but its a shame for those that want to visit the beautiful island of Jura that they have to go via its neighbour! I would certainly use the alternative option... and of course you could always nip over to Islay for a quick visit if you really wanted to!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 11 September 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

I've just seen this great news on the weblog! I for one personally hope it is a success!

No disrespect to Islay, but its a shame for those that want to visit the beautiful island of Jura that they have to go via its neighbour! I would certainly use the alternative option... and of course you could always nip over to Islay for a quick visit if you really wanted to!

I totally agree with you and if you have any plans.... try a car rental on Jura. When this really kicks off they can expect a lot more visitors who will certainly need some sort of public transport, bike hire or rental car. Now hope and pray that this feasibility phase will have success Smile

There are probably smaller islands in Scotland with less people who do have an adequate ferry service to the mainland, so why not Jura?

ron

By: linda (offline)  Tuesday, 11 September 2007  

I am happy that Bruce is happy Rolling Eyes

Linda @ Alba à Taobh an Rathaid

linda

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 11 September 2007  

Ron, is there a car rental place on Jura? I don't imagine there would be much call for one! A place to rent a bike might be sensible though... you can hire a bike as soon as you get off the ferry at Gigha, so it could work on Jura too (or probably does already, its not something I have checked out!)

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 12 September 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

Ron, is there a car rental place on Jura?

Not as far as I know, the nearest place would be Islay. There is however a local bus which is run by Alex Dunnichie and he can be reached at 01496 820314. Someone else called Mike Richardson gives guided tours of the island in his Landrover. Tel: 07899 912116. I think he leaves from Craighouse, Jura Hotel. Would be the most obvious place I guess Smile

Jura does have its own bikehire just outside Craighouse. More info here

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 12 September 2007  

I had a feeling there would be a bike hire place on Jura... makes a lot of sense! I can't see there ever being a place for hiring cars there though, but with the bus and the tour options available there's no need for that! Its not really an island for driving around anyway!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 28 October 2007  

The trial of the Kintyre-Jura ferry proved to be very succesful. I have posted an article on the weblog a few days back about it: Jura Ferry Trial

Eddie made a comment about the Jura Fell Race. I remembered from this year when I was on Islay that I saw a lot of people who joined the Fell Race heading back from Jura on their bike. I can imagine after doing such an exhaustive race, the last thing you want is to cycle back from Craighouse to Feolin, catch the jura ferry and then catch a ferry from Port Askaig or cycle all the way back to Port Ellen. For them a new Jura Ferry would be great! Cool

ron

By: jurastalker (offline)  Sunday, 15 June 2008  

I am fairly new to Jura and moved up here almost 8 years ago and the locals are really nice
Though it does lack basic infrastructure IE transport is limited IE passenger ferry to the island

Jura Development trust have being working on this project for several years
At present the foot passenger ferry looks as it might go ahead this year if all goes well
Though their is one major mile stone to get over

JURA STORES trying to prevent access to the stone pier for foot passengers
The JDT ( Jura development trust ) Have decided in their wisdom
that its in the Islands best interest to provide support to

JURA STORES in order to prevent access to the stone pier for foot passengers after JDT have got the project up and almost running using public, private and charitable funds.

Not forgetting the many thankless man hours individuals have given to the project

I do think that a foot passenger ferry would benefit our local small business and the Island in general It would be a great loss should this service was discontinued through the incompetence of the JDT and other parties

I will keep you updated on any further developments

jurastalker

16 posts :: Page 1 of 2