sponsored links

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: ron (offline)  Saturday, 25 August 2007 (Read 10607 times)  

Due to an accident earlier, in July, the MV Hebridean Isles will be withdrawn from the Kennacraig to Islay route from 6 till 11 September. The service only runs with one ferry, the MV Isle of Arran. If you are planning a trip to Islay in this particular week it is adviced to book as early as possible. More information will come available on the weblog! Eek!

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Saturday, 25 August 2007  

It'll be fun on the route over them days Ron !
Luckily it isn't a wednesday that is affected .
You haven't heard what will be happening to the winter timetable yet have you ? I'm hoping they will up the ferry runs as promised especially on sundays when 1 ferry off the isle is a pain !
They say the winter timetable will be up in a couple of weeks anyway .
Slainte
Gordon

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 26 August 2007  

Quote by: Spirit+of+Islay

You haven't heard what will be happening to the winter timetable yet have you ? I'm hoping they will up the ferry runs as promised especially on sundays when 1 ferry off the isle is a pain !

Hi Gordon, Guess what happens if the one ferry that remains runs into technical problems.... Not that its likely to happen of course. As far as I know there will be a two ferry service in the winter schedule. I think the whisky bosses and other parties created enough pressure (raised hell Wink ) to convince Calmac that the situation from last winter was a joke. When Calmac doesn't meet the demands of their customers who knows what's going to happen. Maybe Western Ferries will return to this route? See the following post: is there a future for Calmac?. And if this fails we can contact Para Handy and his crew to take us to the other side, we will have a good laugh on the way, and perhaps a dram or two Big Grin

If you read the following story on the blog you'll probably have the same conclusion as I have.. Big Grin

Also don't forget the ongoing problems they have at Bruichladdich Pier, when they can't receive the oil by ship it has to be transported by road and that will use a lot of capacity on the ferry as well.

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Hi Ron ,
like i say i hope they will increase the Sunday service so we can get home at a decent time instead of sometime after 11pm !
Thanks , I'd read the first story in the Ileach ,We're sad , we get it delivered through the post , my wife says it's the best bit of mail we get fortnightly !
It'll be interesting to see who claims the glory if the ferry service is upped during the winter , i can see at least three parties stepping forward.....LOL! Laughing Out Loud
Personally i've never had any problems with Calmac but they move in mysterious ways , like the New vessel for the Islay run , you can just see the meeting ......
"Right chaps we can't cope with the demand for the traffic to some little place , is that Ireland ? No , Islay , right we can't cope so we need a new vessel to replace one of the existing , Any ideas ?"
" One the same size , are we all agreed ? Ok who's for a long lunch?"

D'OH!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes

Slainte
Gordon

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Hi Ron ,
like i say i hope they will increase the Sunday service so we can get home at a decent time instead of sometime after 11pm !

At least it's better than the service to Harris/Stornoway on Sunday. As I recall correctly they didn't have a ferry service at all. Hmm checked the timetable and my memory still works fine... Calmac still doesn't have a ferry to Stornoway on Sunday, can you believe that? I know they are religious and respect that but that doesn't explain for me the non existence of a ferry travelling there on sunday Eek!

As for the Islay ferry, I guess things can only get better, also on Sunday Big Grin
What makes me wonder, somehow I had the impression you live somewhere in Kintyre, am I right?

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Quite Wrong Ron !
You probably Drive pretty close to me when you come off the Ferry from Holland to North Shields , i think i read somewhere you come in that way , i reside just on the outskirts of Newcastle Upon Tyne !
I thought they'd started a sunday service around Harris , sure i read somewhere about the church causing a rumpus , it been the end of civilisation as they know it !
Slainte
Gordon

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 28 August 2007  

Quite Wrong Ron !
You probably Drive pretty close to me when you come off the Ferry from Holland to North Shields , i think i read somewhere you come in that way , i reside just on the outskirts of Newcastle Upon Tyne !

Allright... Big Grin I really thought you lived in Kintyre, are you Scottish then? I know the area where you live pretty well, I always accompanied a friend who drove a houseplants truck around Newcastle and Tynevally. We always stopped at Washington, Morpeth, Hexham and several other places in and around Newcastle. I still remember the time the A1 wasn't there and all traffic had to pass the city... where exactly do you live?

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Tuesday, 28 August 2007  

Geordie Through and Through Ron !
I can remember when all the traffic went through the City Centre as well , down Northumberland Street , Pilgrim Street and straight onto the Tyne Bridge .
I live in Brunswick Village just to the North of the city , not far from Gosforth Park , just beside the current A1 .

Slainte
Gordon

Spirit of Islay

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2