sponsored links

48 posts :: Page 1 of 6
By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 07 August 2007 (Read 55498 times)  

Some of you already asked for information that is downloadable, easy to use, can be printed and taken with you when you are driving around Islay. Bruce mentioned it again this afternoon and I thought why not give it a try... Big Grin

I have copied some useful information from the website and created a PDF file which can be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a link to the PDF document: Islay PDF

Since this is a trial version I have included the following info for now:

A short introduction to Islay, a map of Islay, Distillery tour information and phone numbers, an overview of restaurants and pubs/bars, useful phone numbers, things to see and do, an overview of Islay's hotels and an overview of churches and services.

Quite a lot of information I think and I would like to ask you to have a look and provide me some feedback for improvements. My goal is not to copy the whole website into one PDF document, for obvious (copyright) reasons but provide the basic information you can use when staying on the island.

I didn't include the bus timetables, they can be downloaded separately from the travel page.

I look forward to your opinions.... please dont shoot me.. Mr. Green

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 07 August 2007  

Here are my comments from my first (quick) look at your guide:

1. You need to include brief details of How to Get to Islay (with details of CalMac's web site for ferry times - like the bus timetable people can check/download that if they need to).

2. Include phone numbers within the See and Do section. - and maybe move the small table with useful numbers to the end.

3. As you mention Jura in your intro, why not include one page for the island itself?

As I said, that's after a quick look... I'll give others a chance to comment now!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 07 August 2007  

Well I have made some adjustments and used your comments as input Bruce...

I have added a shopping section, added a "how to get to Islay" section including local transport information, added most of the phone numbers for the see&do section and optimized the layout. I also included a watermark (copyright notice).

I look forward to all your comments Big Grin

ron

Looking better already Ron!

Is it possible to add a header and footer to a pdf? That way you can include the title on top of every page as well as your web address at the bottom!

Bruce

I have added a footer but no header. the problem is that when used both the page gets a bit crowded. With only a footer it looks pretty cool Big Grin

I think I will add some info about Jura and Colonsay as well at a later stage and I will try to add a page with information on islay's history as well. Not a bad start for an afternoon and early evening. I am curious about the reactions from the others. Rolling Eyes

ron

Its fine with just the footer... there should always be something there to say who produced the document and I think that works better than a header and footer or even just a header on its own!

As you say, it isn't bad for a few hours work. I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to say as well!

Bruce

Looks like they're speechless Bruce Big Grin

Thanks for all your comments, I will try to make it a bit more complete and also include a wildlife section and a map with beaches and descriptions... It's almost like making a website Wink

Before I know it the whole website is included...

ron

Maybe they are... at the fact I have posted so much in one day Rolling Eyes

As you say, its possible for you to include the whole site... after all, you have all that info on there for a reason so how do you decide what to leave off! However, I would maybe call a halt at adding a second map.,, maybe you should just find an alternative for the first!

Bruce

48 posts :: Page 1 of 6