sponsored links

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: dlathem ()  Tuesday, 16 March 2010 (Read 3936 times)  

I cannot believe it has been almost 6 years since I visited ISLAY with my family. My wife and I first visited in June of 2001 and we loved it.

My discovery of ISLAY came by the way of a Scotch tasting in an Irish Pub in Washington DC, back in the mid 90's. I was never a Scotch drinker, but I did love Irish Whiskey. At this event they had Lagavulin. I loved it. I bought many bottles and brought them home from Washington. (you could not and still cannot buy Lagavulin in the state run monopoly system in Alabama).

I began to research Lagavulin. I soon discovered the wonderful ISLAY....and also the Kildalton Cross!

In 2001 my wife and I made our first visit to Scotland with most of the time spent on ISLAY at the Lochside Hotel in Bowmore. We had to take the family back in 2004 and this time we stayed in Port Charlotte at the Lochindaal Hotel in the Folsom lofts. What a tight squeeze getting in that parking in the back! We spent almost the entire month of June 2004 in Scotland..only three nights on ISLAY as we had to visit John O Groats.

If anyone knows Grant...he worked at the Pub in the Lochindaal Hotel when we were there. He is a great guy and that is such a comfortable place. I will never forget my night of drinking there with the joiners who were working on the hotel down the street. This is the night I discovered Black Bottle. What a blend!

I look forward to many enjoyable hours on this site keeping up with my favorite island.

I attempted to add a link to my 2004 photos, but the system rejected it as spam.

Dennis Lathem

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 17 March 2010  

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your introduction and welcome to my wee Islay forum. I don't get hundreds of active visitors each day but that doesn't mean anything. We have a wee community here of Islay enthusiasts like yourself who happily share their experiences and answer questions made by other members.

It's great to hear from people how they got to know Islay and most of them started off with a dram, which is fantastic isn't it?

If you like you can send me an email with the link for your images and I can try to post it. Let's hope I can beat the spam filter. Eek!

Anyway, thanks again for signing up and for visiting islayinfo.com. I look forward to hearing from you Big Grin

Ron

ron

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1