sponsored links

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 04 May 2009 (Read 11129 times)  

Islay seems to be appearing everywhere , left , right and Centre at the moment on the Telly !
It features on a new series starring Martin Clunes (Men Behaving Badly , Doc Martin ) in which he travels to the Islands of Britain , i believe Islays in the second programme (info seems a bit vague ). Just seen an advert for it on ITV featuring showing a piper who i'm sure was Lynsay MacArthur ( Lillian's - From Bunnahabhain Distillery - Daughter . She also worked in the Old Kiln for a while....) teaching him to play the Bag pipes , she is an excellent Piper !
It is on the ITV.com player , which isn't a patch on the BBC one as it keeps cutting out and it has Adverts on it......
I think the 2nd programme is on next Sunday (10th) on ITV at 9pm .

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 05 May 2009  

Thanks Gordon, more good publicity for Islay. Unfortunately another one that can't be watched from outside the UK. I sometimes wonder why that is Cry

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Tuesday, 05 May 2009  

It's probably to do with Broadcasting rights in Different countries Ron .
Progamme makers are funny like that !
You wouldn't enjoy watching it on the ITV player , i gave up in the end !

Spirit of Islay

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Wednesday, 06 May 2009  

Not only "probably broadcasting rights", but almost certainly broadcasting rights. Even in times of the global internet broadcasting rights are typically sold by country or at best region. To transmit globally they would need global rights which are typically more expensive. If it is a public broadcaster (like the BBC for example) and funded through licence payers, why should these pay for people abroad to watch it? Or if a station is directed at a specific country why/how should they fund global rights?

That's why a lot of programmes (or even websites, e.g. hulu.com) are only available in specific countries (unless you use a proxy, which would violate their terms of service). It's not only UK programmes not available outside of the UK, the same way the recent programme about Islay on Arte.tv wasn't accessible in the UK via the internet.

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Sunday, 10 May 2009  

Watched the Programme tonight , nice to see Duncan getting a bit more exposure at the Distillery (though i gather he's on 'S ann an Ile restoring a puffer this thursday) , really nice guy ! Also good seeing Lynsay getting Martin playing the bagpipes .
Only Gripe......the Islay section wasn't long enough !!!! Laughing Out Loud

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 11 May 2009  

Cheers Gordon, I can't wait to see it for myself Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 12 May 2009  

... the Islay section wasn't long enough !!!! Laughing Out Loud

That's been my gripe with the series as a whole... each 10-12 minute section of the programme deals with 1 island, which basically means that a small island like Piel gets as much time as Islay or Man! As interesting as the programme can be at times, its let down by this as far as I am concerned!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 12 May 2009  

You are not the only one with a remark Bruce. Take for instance the comment at the bottom of this link. I cannot judge for myself however, I haven't seen it yet. I have to stick to series like BBC Coast for now. Let's hope the coast team comes to Islay in this new 4th season and perhaps a DVD with the islands of britain in my mailbox. Rolling Eyes

ron

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2