sponsored links

24 posts :: Page 1 of 3
By: yAnja (offline)  Tuesday, 10 July 2007 (Read 21928 times)  

Hi to everyone Cool
...After some busy days i'm back again...
The days pass by quickly and now me and my sweetheart Big Grin must plan our, unluckly, short stay, to make it as best as possible...
In this days we are contacting our host to plan bike hire, distillery visits and more.
As member of this forum i'm sure that everybody can help me, particularly The Master, The Magnificent Ron Wink
Here the details we have already planned (more or less)...

First Day (Wednesday):
Arrive in the afternoon (15 at Port Askaig). Transfer to Port Ellen with visit and the same afternoon visit Carraigh Fada lighthouse and the whereabouts, the Oa, Singing Sands.If possible wait the dusk Big Grin
How to spend the evening i don't really know yet, but a part of it at bar of White Hart Hotel.
Second Day (Thursday)
During the day visit Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila. We think to spent time at Finlaggan Visitor Centre and visit hte area of the norther lighthouse (it's possible by foot or bike?)
Third Day (Friday)
During the day visit Bruichladdich (and maybe Kilchoman),after that an itinerary down to Port Charlotte Portnahaven, Lossit Bay, Kilchiaran Bay and Machir Bay (possibly see the dusk here or in Portnahaven) Eat at LochIndaal Bar (it's possible for non-guest of hotel?)
Fourth Day (Saturday)
Visit Bridgend, The Woollen Mill, Islay House, Ballygrant and whereabouts.
Fifth Day (Sunday)
Loch Gruinart Natural Reserve, Loch Gorm, Saligo Bay, Kilnave, Ardnave
Sixth Day (Monday)
During the day visit Ardbeg and Lagavulin and whereabouts, Dunevaig castle, Kildalton, Aros Bay, Claggan Bay.
Seventh Day (Tuesday) (not rest for us!)
During the day, in the morning visit Bowmore Disitllery and whereabouts. In the afternoon visit Laphroaig (and of course, our plots!) and whereabouts.
Eigth Day (Wednesday)
OOOHH GOOOSH! We must leave Islay with the ferry of 9 AM... Cry Cry Cry

Now, what i hope is that You help us to refine the plan, with your tips and suggestion of itinerary,
Remember that, at moment, we haven't booked distillery tour yet, and of course, forgive us for robbing forum of so much space...
Greetz!

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 12 July 2007  

Hi Rudy, first of all thanks for submitting your travel plans here. I have also moved this post to a new topic to make it somewhat easier to find for other members Big Grin

I must say you have everything carefully planned but I think you will find out that "Islay Time" is something to consider and something you will experience when you are on Islay. This will probably mean that you are likely to spend more time for some things to enjoy fully and therefor might end up with skipping things later on. In general I would suggest to go with the flow and take the weather as a guide, before you end up in a distillery on a bright sunny day or walk on Machir Bay in the pooring rain.

I will add some comments/remarks with each day but please don't forget, this is just my humble opinion Wink

Wednesday:
The area around Carraig Fhada is really nice and if you have some patience you can possibly spot Otters or Seals, also on the Singing Sands. I have doubts if you can get to explore the Oa as well, it's bigger than you think!

Thursday:
Rhuvaal can be reached by foot and is a 4 to 5 hour walk (return) from Bunnahabhain. Finlaggan is a must if you ask me. Try to stop at the Persabus Pottery and say hi to Arra from me...

Friday:
A day on the Rhinns, sounds great, and yes Lochindaal Hotel welcomes non-residents as well

Saturday
All within the same area, you will have a relaxing day. The shops on Islay House Square are all worth visiting and of course Islay Ales.

Sunday:
There you have planned a lot and I hope you get to see everything. If you take the walk around Ardnave Point you get some wonderful impressions of Loch Gruinart and Ardnave. this is a great walk! I hope you can have a fine sunset at Saligo Bay!

Monday:
Aren't you tired from yesterdays walks? If not, this is a nice plan. Try to have lunch at Ardbeg at the Old Kiln Cafe.

Tuesday:
I should try to visit Lahproaig on Monday, since you are in the area, and get to discover more of Bowmore. Visit the Round church and try a trip up the Glen Road.

Wednesday:
Hope you had a wonderful trip. Time to rest Cool

It seems you are well prepared and what I should personally add is a visit to the Museum of Islay Life in Port Charlotte and the Islay Natural History Trust, also Port Charlotte. Or just save them for a rainy day Cool

Oh Rudy, forum space is almost unlimited so feel free to post whatever you like. I hope my comments made any sense.

ron

By: yAnja (offline)  Monday, 16 July 2007  

Hi Ron,
Many Thanks for Your Precious answers...
...For me it's not humble opinion, 'cause keep it in great consideration. As i say in one of my first post, You are a Great Expert of Islay, and this is a fact.
For The Museum of Islay Life, i only forget to mentionate, (I was tired the evening i write the post?) and i think also it's ok for Islay Natural History Trust.
I forget meanwhile the Islay Ale! Thanks again. I like so much also beers, and it's obvious i'm interested to visit a brewery.
I hope to find a place to sit in Old Kiln, i'm curious to eat there.

For what You say about "IslayTime"... Unluckly we have only 6 and half days to spend on Islay.
I know, it's not enough to enjoy very well, i planned many things to see, and hope to see well more things possible.
But without recrimination, i accept what Islay want to give us, Sunny Day or Rain, Many time or not.
I believe to fallin in love with that isle, as many writers in this forum, and i will happy of all we can to see and do on that day...
Thank You so Much...
You are an Ileach in the heart...
My Very Best Regards

yAnja

By: yAnja (offline)  Monday, 16 July 2007  

Another question (of another kind).
There's pub and/or bar on Islay where we can play darts (steel tip)?
From some times, i start to play in the pub where me and my girl go every week, and i think it will be funny to play there with some people of the island, carrying with me my personal darts (not professional for the moment)...

yAnja

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 17 July 2007  

Hi Rudy, thanks for all the wonderful compliments Big Grin

I can remember one place where you can play darts and that's the bar of the Ballygrant Inn, on the road from Bridgend to Port Askaig. There are probably other bars as well where you can play darts, but i'm not sure about that. Ballygrant Inn also has a fine restaurant and good bar meals. Worth a detour Big Grin

When dou you leave for Scotland Rudi? You must have said it before... sorry... Wink

ron

By: yAnja (offline)  Tuesday, 17 July 2007  

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the tips again about darts...
We leave Italy for God's Own Isle on the 14th August...
Less than a month...
I hope this days will go by as slowly as possible, 'cause i want to go mad waiting for it Twisted Evil ...
And cry Cry for Joy when leaning my foot on the Sacred Soil...

Mr. Green

yAnja

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 23 July 2007  

Waiting is the hardest part, I know I do it almost every year for 49 weeks Big Grin

But this year I might be lucky, looks like we will head for Islay late october/november, I heard that this is a wonderful time of year as well, although I guess that any time of the year will be just fine for me Smile

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 23 July 2007  

A week on Saturday and we'll be back on the isle , a glorious week in the Cottages at Bunnahabhain !
Ron , since 2003 we've been going over for a long week-end at the end of November and it's been beautiful , the colours are amazing on the isle at that time of year , there's only been one set back so far , 2005 the ferries were cancelled due to bad weather , which was also the time we were going over to bottle my Bloodtub ! Angry
We splash out on this trip and treat ourselves to a stay in the Port Charlotte Hotel , great way to do a bit of Christmas shopping ! Wink
Slainte
Gordon

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

24 posts :: Page 1 of 3