sponsored links

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Diana (offline)  Monday, 20 October 2008 (Read 4153 times)  

I was again looking at some of the beautiful photographs that people have taken of Islay (will probably take me 6 more months to get through them all!) and was fascinated with the round church in Bowmore....I'm sure that SOMEWHERE on here there is the history about it, but wondering if the Templars had anything to do with it, as they were known for the round buildings. Imagine this church might be more recent, but just curious, and like many folks these days, I find the history of the Templars most interesting.

Diana

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 21 October 2008  

Diana, details of the Round Church can be found on the Bowmore page... as it says there, the church was built in 1767 (completed 2 years later I believe) so post-dates the Templars by some time! According to Ron the church was built as a round structure so that the devil had nowhere to hide! Some more info (tho not the reason for the shape it seems!) can be found on the church's own site!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: Diana (offline)  Wednesday, 22 October 2008  

Thank you, Bruce! What can I say, but "Duh"!....am sure I've passed right over the information about the Bowmore church before. Rolling Eyes Been reading quite a lot about the Templars lately, and just interesting how they became so powerful, and in essence, the bankers of Europe. Please just put this query down to a "flight of fancy"!

Diana

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1