sponsored links

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: bgulien (offline)  Saturday, 13 September 2008 (Read 7457 times)  

Just saw the Ealing comedy "The Maggie" about an old puffer and it's crew.
Hilarious movie and, mostly filmed in or around islay.
It was filmed in 1954 so some things have changed, but Bowmore harbour and the round church was easily recognizable.
The crew was drinking in the harbour Inn (different name in the film).
I recognized Port Askaig and I think Portnahaven/Port Wemyss, but could also be Port Charlotte.
Can be bought at Amazon.co.uk

bgulien

By: Diana (offline)  Wednesday, 17 September 2008  

Speaking of old movies, does anyone remember, or has heard of, a movie called, if I recall rightly, "Tight Little Island"? My mother and grandparents from Scotland went to see this when it came to town, and since I was small, I went too. I vaguely remember it, and that it concerned the whiskey industry, and folks were trying to hide it or something. Would like to watch this again, and also the aforementioned movie.

Diana

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 17 September 2008  

Quote by: Diana

Speaking of old movies, does anyone remember, or has heard of, a movie called, if I recall rightly, "Tight Little Island"?

Diana, I think you mean the movie "Whisky Galore". This movie is sometimes called Tight Little Island. Here is more info about whisky galore Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 17 September 2008  

Whisky Galore was released in America as Tight Little Island!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: bgulien (offline)  Thursday, 18 September 2008  

Diana, That must be Whisky Galore. The US title was Thight Little Island.
That was about a real event, the sinking of the SS Politician, with whisky destined for the US, which ran aground on Eriskay, Uist, in the Outer Hebrides. The people, starved of the golden liquid, saved numerous cases from drowning. A view the Excise men didn't sdubscribe to. Compton MacKenzie, of Monarch of the Glen fame, wrote the book Whisky Galore, about this event. The boat is now called SS Cabinet Minister. Ealing comedy's made a film after the book.
Sometimes, bottles surface, which are allegedly from the SS Politician.

bgulien

By: Diana (offline)  Thursday, 18 September 2008  

Thank you all for the replies....really don't know why I remembered that movie, when it seems I can't even recall what I did 15 minutes ago, but I enjoyed the story throughly, and plan to get both movies to watch now. Interesting that bottles still surface today.

Diana

By: bgulien (offline)  Thursday, 18 September 2008  

Diana, like all good movies, they are timeless.

bgulien

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1