sponsored links

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: henri (offline)  Thursday, 28 August 2008 (Read 9483 times)  

Okay guys, here's a toughie.

You're wandering on Islay and all you have left in your pockets is a $100. All the ferries have been cancelled due to bad weather and the airport is shut down. You are feeling very sorry for yourself and you have one thought, a good shot of single malt. What would be your choice of whisky? Smile One bottle only.

Henri

henri

By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 28 August 2008  

I'd hold out so that I could get myself a bottle of Jura... it would be worth the wait! Big Grin

Then again, if it became too much I would head up to Bunnahabhain!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 28 August 2008  

Interesting thought Henri,

I think I would take a tour at each distillery, get a free dram, perhaps two, forget about my misery and have enough left for a meal and a B&B Laughing Out Loud

My first thought however would go the the Laphroaig 15yr old. That's my all time favourite so far. But.... I can name a few Islay malts who come very very very close.... Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, just to name a few Wink

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Friday, 29 August 2008  

Has to be a Bottle of Ardbeg Renaissance ! And a bowl of Soup and a Sarnie in the Old Kiln to go with it.........

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: henri (offline)  Sunday, 31 August 2008  

Hello you guys, Big Grin
Bruce.....I am very tempted to try a bottle of Jura Superstition. Eek! What sayest thou you Jura man? For the simple reason that the bottle has a lovely shape which would increasingly become more lovelier with the decreasing level in the bottle(cylindrical bottles are emotionally inert). Cry But I'm sure that the contents are equally satisfying. Smile But I will be hard pressed to go with Lagavulin if I don't get a positive reaction on the Jura choice. Well, maybe I'll have to try both but will have to borrow a few "poonds" to bolster the $100. Which means that the ferries can stay away for a while longer.

Henri

henri

By: bgulien (offline)  Sunday, 31 August 2008  

First of all, if I'm on Islay, I am bound to not feel sorry for myself.
On the contrary, if no ferry ferried and no airplane planed (is that good english) I would have a nice argument to stay a bit longer.
Ok, $100 or 100 pounds.
$ 100 doesn't get you far today, with the exchange rates nowadays. So GBP 100 then.
I would go for the Bruichladdich XVII if it is still around. Hard to find nowadays, but maybe at the distillery they have one left.
Sit at Saligo Beach to see the waves and then get to the Old Kiln cafe for a Clooty dumpling.
That is laced with Ardbeg 10. Now to Port Ellen to wait for the ferry.

bgulien

By: Bruce (offline)  Sunday, 31 August 2008  

Quote by: henri

Bruce.....I am very tempted to try a bottle of Jura Superstition. Eek! What sayest thou you Jura man?

I highly recommend a bottle of Superstition to anyone who appreciates good whisky! Wink

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: henri (offline)  Wednesday, 07 January 2009  

Well, haven't tried the Jura Superstition yet but it's coming. Over the holidays, we "tested" a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and must admit that this is one smooth whisky. Hated to see the bottom of that bottle. I can't comment on all the nuances of this whisky (don't know how) but it is not the last Lag 16 bottle to enter my house. We also had Bowmore 15 (dark) and it too is a fine whisky. Now, for Laphroaig QC.................... Cool

Henri

henri

9 posts :: Page 1 of 2