sponsored links

39 posts :: Page 3 of 5
By: Dhmellor (offline)  Friday, 20 November 2009  

Thanks Ron - that is a major factor which I managed to overlook. Oops!

This link www.scottish-islands-federation.co.uk/ferries/ferry-reviw.htm

.....is a useful one, with some clear and concise information about the Ferry Review. If, when the draft proposals emerge for consultation next spring, there is a proposal to close Kennacraig and Port Ellen and switch all services to Oban, we may need to remind those who are conducting the review of two of their own key objectives:

1. to 'contribute to the Government’s climate change policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions', and
2. to 'make the minimum possible impact on the local and global environment.'

Dave

Dhmellor

By: ron (online)  Friday, 20 November 2009  

Quote by: Dhmellor

we may need to remind those who are conducting the review of two of their own key objectives:
1. to 'contribute to the Government’s climate change policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions', and
2. to 'make the minimum possible impact on the local and global environment.'

For some reason, don't ask why, I feel that it's not going to happen. The two objectives above are very important, you are right about that and there could well be a surprise solution. Perhaps I'm being the optimist here but let me explain:

Do you remember the black and white video I posted a little over a week ago? In that video someone speaks about an overland route to Islay via (the north of) Jura. In the official Scottish Government ferry review objectives document is an interesting paragraph:

A shorter route from Jura to the mainland will be specifically considered as the Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Climate Change committed the review to including this at his TICCC appearance on 3rd June 2008

If I read this correctly a new route from the mainland directly to Jura is specifically considered. And, providing this will be a car ferry, when you are on Jura you're almost in Islay too, surprise surprise. Eek!

Is this a crazy suggestion? Rolling Eyes

ron

By: Dhmellor (offline)  Saturday, 21 November 2009  

Is this a crazy suggestion? Rolling Eyes[/p]

Last time the good folk of Jura were asked about it, they certainly thought so! Wink

Dhmellor

By: ron (online)  Saturday, 21 November 2009  

Quote by: DhmellorLast time the good folk of Jura were asked about it, they certainly thought so! Wink

Yeah you are probably right, it is a crazy idea Neutral

I think I would go crazy when I would live on Jura and see all the cars and lorries for Islay passing over that wee single track road. I think it would pretty much destroy the tranquility of Jura. Confused

ron

By: ron (online)  Sunday, 22 November 2009  

I thought it would be interesting to start a new poll, this time to ask the readers what their preferred ferry route would be. The results will probably be as we expect but you never know for sure Wink

The poll is available from the main page of the blog in the right-hand column Cool

For Dave: I included the option Mainland-Jura-Port Askaig for people who travel on the Jura passenger ferry to Islay!

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Sunday, 22 November 2009  

Even Though i voted Kennacraig-Port Ellen I actually prefer things the way they are !
In the summer it's great as when we arrive it's on the afternoon ferry to Port Askaig then it's just a short drive to Bunnahabhain , we usually leave on the morning ferry from Port Ellen and this gives us a chance to see our favourite South Shore as we leave and it's nice seeing the Distilleries for one last time .
Anything bar Oban and the Overland route....
Wouldn't it be great to drive for 6 hours to get to the ferry terminal , a short hop over to jura , Navigate the single track roads , then have to wait for hours to get across the sound on the little ferry......
So that would be queuing at 2 ferry terminals then ?8O

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: Dhmellor (offline)  Monday, 23 November 2009  

Quote by: Spirit of Islay

Even Though i voted Kennacraig-Port Ellen I actually prefer things the way they are !

Same here - that's why I haven't voted. GIven the frequency with which ferries have to be diverted from one Islay port to another because of the weather, the last thing we should do is give anyone the impression that either of them could be closed! Eek!

Dhmellor

By: ron (online)  Monday, 23 November 2009  

Quote by: Dhmellor

Same here - that's why I haven't voted. GIven the frequency with which ferries have to be diverted from one Islay port to another because of the weather, the last thing we should do is give anyone the impression that either of them could be closed! Eek!

Dave, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough, sorry for that. Oops!

The poll was meant to find out how many people would vote for the Oban to Port Askaig route and how many for another route. I think most people want things to stay the way they are now , I am one of them, but I did vote for Kennacraig to Port Askaig simply because I prefer this one over the Port Ellen route. It's the shortest and fastest route and this route is unlikely to be disrupted by bad weather, well except yesterday Wink

ron

39 posts :: Page 3 of 5