sponsored links

118 posts :: Page 5 of 15
By: TVAS (offline)  Sunday, 05 August 2007  

Hi Ann,

Good choice: Islay whisky. And even better that you have planned to visit Islay.
I (Dutch) have been there several weeks ago and I can tell you it is a unique isle.
What is surprising me is that you have make a choice for Islay Whisky! Because of
the most Americans comes not further than the World Famous 'Jack Daniels'. (Sorry for that)
But it makes me happy! Ann, have a good time on Islay.

Theo

TVAS

By: annieb (offline)  Sunday, 05 August 2007  

Hi Theo - you are correct about the general American tastes - gentleman Jack is about as far as anyone gets - my partner and I are working away to change the perceptions about whisk(e)y, usually with a dram of Aberlour or Dalmore (which the drinker usually says *once prompted NOT to act as if it is a shot* 'hmmm - this is pretty good'). I never start anyone on an Islay malt...a little too much for them!

However - I have learned from my forays into the Bourbon world that we have quite a few good American versions. I can recommend (if you or anyone else is interested):
Elijah Craig
Buffalo Trace
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve

and others..... Big Grin

I did visit the Jack Daniels Distillery a few years ago and it was a hoot. Our guide was a former employee (and the definition of a hillbilly) who was quite knowledgeable. However, even I had to open my ears and concentrate to try to understand his pure mountain accent. On my tour was a couple from Japan and one from Germany - not sure either understood a word he was saying. When I lost total focus on what he was saying I was lost for a few moments. I would highly recommend the tour - the smells were completely different especially with the smell of the sugar maple charcoal filtering process than the smells from the only Scottish Distillery that I have visited so far (Glenfiddich).

I can also recommend my favorite summer drink - Mint Julep - which I make with a middle size bottle Knob Creek or Makers Mark -

Recipe -
*Heat 1/3 cup sugar and 2/3 cup sugar and a bunch of Mint leaves to make a simple sugar (make sure it does not burn)
*Pour the bottle of bourbon into a pitcher and pour the simple sugar heated mixture, though a strainer, into the pitcher and mix well
*Stuff a few more bunches of Mint into the empty bottle and pour the sugar/bourbon mixture back into the bottle (yes, you will have some left over which you can place into a glass directly - I usually do
*Freeze for at least 24 hours

You can make a mint julep from this bottle. I usually pour some spring water into a double old-fashioned glass, pour in a measure of the mixture (mix) and top with several ice cubes (or crushed ice). You can also use seltzer water or club soda if you want it to be more fizzy.

There is NOTHING more refreshing (in my estimation) on a hot summer day!

Laughing Out Loud

You may already know this recipe - but perhaps it will be useful for others! Have a great day! Ann

annieb

By: TVAS (offline)  Monday, 06 August 2007  

Ann, I did visit the JDD in Lynchburg too, now 9 or 10 years ago. In that time JD was my favorite.
The process is completely different from what you will see on Islay. Now in these days one of my favorites is Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

And about your recipe: is that not a lot of sugar 1/3 and 2/3 cups? Wink

TVAS

By: annieb (offline)  Monday, 06 August 2007  

OOPS - thanks for catching that - Oops!

its 1/3 cup water and 2/3 cup sugar - I will fix the posting!!

too long of a weekend with too many rednecks!!

annieb

Quote by: annieb

Hi Theo - you are correct about the general American tastes - gentleman Jack is about as far as anyone gets - my partner and I are working away to change the perceptions about whisk(e)y, usually with a dram of Aberlour or Dalmore (which the drinker usually says *once prompted NOT to act as if it is a shot* 'hmmm - this is pretty good'). I never start anyone on an Islay malt...a little too much for them!

However - I have learned from my forays into the Bourbon world that we have quite a few good American versions. I can recommend (if you or anyone else is interested):
Elijah Craig
Buffalo Trace
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve

and others..... Big Grin

I did visit the Jack Daniels Distillery a few years ago and it was a hoot. Our guide was a former employee (and the definition of a hillbilly) who was quite knowledgeable. However, even I had to open my ears and concentrate to try to understand his pure mountain accent. On my tour was a couple from Japan and one from Germany - not sure either understood a word he was saying. When I lost total focus on what he was saying I was lost for a few moments. I would highly recommend the tour - the smells were completely different especially with the smell of the sugar maple charcoal filtering process than the smells from the only Scottish Distillery that I have visited so far (Glenfiddich).

I can also recommend my favorite summer drink - Mint Julep - which I make with a middle size bottle Knob Creek or Makers Mark -

Recipe -
*Heat 1/3 cup WATER and 2/3 cup sugar and a bunch of Mint leaves to make a simple sugar (make sure it does not burn)
*Pour the bottle of bourbon into a pitcher and pour the simple sugar heated mixture, though a strainer, into the pitcher and mix well
*Stuff a few more bunches of Mint into the empty bottle and pour the sugar/bourbon mixture back into the bottle (yes, you will have some left over which you can place into a glass directly - I usually do
*Freeze for at least 24 hours

You can make a mint julep from this bottle. I usually pour some spring water into a double old-fashioned glass, pour in a measure of the mixture (mix) and top with several ice cubes (or crushed ice). You can also use seltzer water or club soda if you want it to be more fizzy.

There is NOTHING more refreshing (in my estimation) on a hot summer day!

Laughing Out Loud

You may already know this recipe - but perhaps it will be useful for others! Have a great day! Ann

annieb

I would guess you would not have too much trouble understanding the guides at the JD Distillery - it is the Dutch fans that we would go to first for language help on our three visits the the Tour de France - it was amazing....English with very little accent, French and German spoken as well to most of the Dutch folks we met - Exclaimation

Of course, as an American, I speak only one language and understand a little Spanish (due to my childhood in Florida) - sad - Oops!

They do not emphasize other languages here and since I did not take the time in college and graduate school for anything but the basics in foreign languages (spent all my other credits in Environmental School and Biology) - sad but true.... Evil

ANYWAY....back to whisk(e)y/bourbon - its 96 degrees here today so its a mint julep after work for me today!!! Twisted Evil

later! ANN

annieb

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 07 August 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

A PDF version of the site sounds good Ron... I'm sure quite a few would find it very useful!

I still think you should give this idea some serious consideration - you certainly have enough useful info between the site, your weblog and this forum to create something worth reading Wink

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 07 August 2007  

A PDF version of the site sounds good Ron... I'm sure quite a few would find it very useful!

I still think you should give this idea some serious consideration - you certainly have enough useful info between the site, your weblog and this forum to create something worth reading Wink

Your wish is my command... Cool I have spent some time this afternoon and came up with the following... https://www.islay.blog/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=190 Big Grin

ron

118 posts :: Page 5 of 15