sponsored links

118 posts :: Page 4 of 15
By: yAnja (offline)  Wednesday, 20 June 2007  

Quote by: ron

Big Grin Thanks Rudy, that's a very nice compliment you made me there. Much appreciated! You never know if I end up writing a book, but I might create a PDF file with information from the website for people to take with them when they visit Islay... So many ideas Smile

Venice sounds great by the way but I guess it's quite a bit different from Islay. Venice is defintely one of the cities in Europe I really like to visit... if I only had the time.... and money Wink

GREAT!
I think the PDF it's really great idea!
Think it's possible you create that before August? I think can help me more... Big Grin

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: yAnja (offline)  Wednesday, 20 June 2007  

In any case, if you want visit Venice, i think can do something to help you...

...Islay, Islay, and of course, ISLAY!

yAnja

By: gerardhorstman (offline)  Monday, 02 July 2007  

While surfing on the forum I just noticed my first posting was in the wrong topic. Here I go again on the correct place. _______________________________________________ Hello my name is Gerard and i live in the Netherlands. The last 3 years I plan my Holidays in 2 phases. 1) with the family (mostly not to Scotland) and 2) with a friend who also loves whisky and Islay. This year will be the 3rd in a row to visit Scotland and our visit to Islay is standard and every year longer because we enjoy the island. (the people, lifstyle, nature, whisky) I joined the Forum to be able to learn more about Islay and the Ileach and perhaps to prepare for our next visit early August to which I look forward. Looking forward to forum discussions too. Gerard

gerardhorstman

By: ron (online)  Monday, 02 July 2007  

Hi Gerard, a warm welcome to the Islay Forum and thanks for introducing yourself. As you might have noticed I moved your topic to the general Islay forum Big Grin

Islay is a very special place and I share your experience, like many others, with making the next trip longer and every time the reward is getting bigger. How long will you stay this year?

If you have any questions just drop them here in the forum and they will certainly be answered. I look forward to seeing lots of new posts from you Big Grin

ron

By: gerardhorstman (offline)  Monday, 02 July 2007  

Hello Rene, I've been in Dufftown last year and will near this year. On 3rd of August we will be traveling from Aviemore via the famous Whisky castle in Tomintoul (3rd visit) to the cooperage near Graigelachie and Dufftown. Would be nice to meet you. Our problem every year though is that we are lacking time and that is soooo anti the ´feel´ of Scotland. The day before we arrive at Aviemore from Newcastle. Friday 3rd travelling in your area Saturday heading north already. We travel from 1 to 18th to, this time explore the north, Inverness via Lairg, Poolewe. Then heading south direction Islay where we stay from 11 Aug. till 16th (much too short) Any recommendations on how to plan Scotland next time but leaving enough time for our all time favourite Islay? I know you will say: "Take an extra week" but unfortunately I have to split my holiday to A) a family Holiday elsewhere in Europe (my wife prefers not too far and if possible a warm country) and Cool Scotland with a friend. So with the limited holdays from work I have to do with a 2 weeks holiday or just over this year (temptation was too big). Must be great living in this great country not having this problem. It´s a pity we are not in Dufftown on your tasty Tuesday. The Dufftown Whisky museum sounds like a good idea for a visit. I´ll talk to my friend on that.

Quote by: ISLAYonSPEY

But then ever since my 1st visit to Islay in 2001, I have loved Ardbeg. This has also given me the idea to create my own Ardbeg by marrying cask-strength bottlings for 10 months in a Port Cask which I now enjoy. The Name; "Adultery" a 7yo Cask-Strength at 51.1%.

Ardbeg is also my favourite. See my comment on www.ardbeg.com/committeedelight.asp. Your Adultery sounds very interesting to me. Like to taste it. As said will talk to my friend. This must convince him !!!

gerardhorstman

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 03 July 2007  

Hi Gerard and welcome... its always good to see someone new in a forum!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: annieb (offline)  Sunday, 05 August 2007  

Ann here - working again on a hot Sunday....its going to be close to 90 degrees F here today (not sure what it would be in C) - Ron, thanks for the reply....I guess its time to introduce myself - I am a native Floridian (yes, there are a few of us...) who now lives near Philadelphia. I work for the Federal Environmental Agency (US EPA) - love my job but I work to travel. I decided to learn to drink whisk(e)y in 2000 (long story) - So I decided to celebrate my 40th b-day (Sept 13, 2007) with something spectacular hence the trip to Islay - followed by London and the completion of the Coast to Coast Walk (I walked the eastern moor section in 2000). I initially started with the thought of just distilleries several months ago - but have found that there is so much more to see and do in Islay. My partner is more of a hard core travel guy (as in hiking the Appalachian Trail with 50 pound packs) - but is happy when there are distilleries involved! We both enjoy the Islay Malts - actually not realizing that we were buying mostly Islay singe malts! Big Grin We both have attended the Whisky Fest in NYC (www.maltadvocate.com/whiskeyfest-ny.asp) and it appears that John Campbell from Laphroaig will be attending this year -

I am so excited about my trip and have a feeling that I will return many times! Mr. Green

annieb

By: ron (online)  Sunday, 05 August 2007  

Welcome Ann and good to see someone from across the ocean on the forum. If walking is your or your husbands thing than you could have a look at the Islay Access Website, the have good info on walking and some nice routes as well.

ps. 90 fahrenheit is 32.2 degr celsius, you wont find such temperatures on Islay Cool

ron

118 posts :: Page 4 of 15