In the Ileach of 16 January appeared an article about the Sunderland Flying Boat tragedy at Black Rock and the stone memorial that was about to be erected at the spot where the flying boat crashed and exploded. In April a follow-up was published in the Ileach newspaper:
The Museum of Islay Life is delighted to announce the completion of the memorial to the men of Coastal Command who lost their lives in the crash of the Short Sunderland Flying Boat at Blackrock in January 1943. Built by Nerabus contractor Douglas Smith, the memorial consists of a granite slab mounted into stone cairn alongside a plaque recording the names of those who were killed. It is located on a grassy knoll overlooking the crash site, Bowmore and Loch Indaal where the flying boats were moored. Access to the memorial is across the field via the Blackrock Coastal path. There is a car park at the top of the rise. Please be aware that there is livestock in the field and that dogs are not advisable during lambing time. A formal dedication will be arranged in due course.